Instagram for tourism, getting tactical
Angela Ponsford and Miranda Ivey make up the business Dotti Media based in Northern NSW Australia. The girls from Dotti Media help small businesses and entrepreneurs make the most of their social media platforms. They have just released an online course called Get Insta Savvy and this is all about Instagram. Today on Tourism Tweetup the Podcast we chat to Angela about Instagram and some of the tactics needed for success on this platform from a business perspective.
We start of chatting about Visual Marketing and why Instagram has been so popular.
We then chat about what we need to get our head around when using Instagram for business rather than using Instagram for personal use. Angela talks about posting images that convey what your business is and allowing people to get to know you – that posting what you had for lunch isn’t really that interesting when people don’t know you and when they don’t have a relationship with you.
We talk about the demographics of Instagram which is slightly female skewed (6 minute mark) and then the type of content that works on Instagram (6.30 mark).
- Having a face or a person in the photo works
- Adding text over photos/images works
- Snackable content
- Travel inspiration
From the 9.30 minute mark we talk about common mistakes of Instagram users
- Having your account set to private
- Not having a bio (you have up to 150 characters)
- Not using hashtags
- Not having a comment or description
- Make sure your clickable website link is mobile friendly
From the 14.30 minute mark we talk tips for growing your Instagram followers – listen for the details!
- Have a good bio
- Post more often
- Considering post timing (see http://iconosquare.com)
- Follow more accounts
- Leave comments on others accounts
- Use hashtags
- Remember its about being social
We talk about user generated content – see my blog post about user generated content